Some people love the idea of an open plan office and others couldn’t think of anything worse.
Here’s a few of the advantages and disadvantages of an open plan office to see if this is the right thing for you and your team.
- Communication is one of the biggest advantages of an open plan office. Group discussions can happen easily and freely from the comfort of your own desk as everyone is near each other. This could mean you are more likely to get ideas and opinions of others that you may not have gone to the effort of getting if you were in a closed plan office. This can also help to build better relationships between team members as they will be able to have increased interaction.
- It can be much easier for managers as they will be in constant contact with staff members. This means any issues can be identified and dealt with much quicker as they will be fully aware of what is going on and easy to reach out to. It is also easier for them to see exactly who is present and saves time having to track people down.
- With open plan offices you are also likely to be able to fit in more work stations, allowing for you to have more staff. This could mean that overheads can be kept low even if your business is expanding and you are gaining more staff and saves the pain of moving to a bigger office.
- One of disadvantages of an open plan office is the noise may become too much and it may seem chaotic at times. If lots of people are on the phone at once for example this can create a lot of background noise meaning you may not be able to concentrate as well, and efficiency will suffer. It is much easier to become distracted by things if you are in an open plan office.
- Privacy may also become an issue for some. Computer screens can be seen easily as others are walking around the office and telephone conversations may be overheard. This can become a problem if staff are undertaking confidential activities or may make them feel uncomfortable knowing others can see/hear what they are doing.
- Illness can also be spread much more in an open plan office compared to a closed plan office. This could mean you face having multiple members of staff off sick at the same time meaning meeting deadlines and keeping productivity where it needs to be very difficult.
At MBS Accountants we embrace an open plan office environment. We believe it brings us closer as a team and we collaborate more. We accept the disadvantages and try to manage them as best as we can. Overall we feel for our setup the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. We have a strong team environment where everyone is valued and such a setup ensures we main strong and deliver the best possible service to our clients.